What a great warming soup and so easy to make. You can increase or decrease the ginger to your taste, but I do like some heat in my food!
- 750gm pumpkin, roughly chopped, skin on
- glug olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1.5 inch root ginger, finely grated
- 250gm new potatoes, skins on, chopped
- veg stock, around 3/4 litre
- roast off the pumpkin in a mediun oven until soft (about 30 mins) Take the flesh off the skin and put to one side.
- warm the oil in a pan, add the cumin. When the fragrance whafts up, add the onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until onion is soft.
- Add potatoes, stir in for a few mins before adding the stock.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 10 mins, then add the pumpkin. Add more water/stock if necessary
- Simmer for another 10 mins, till potatoes are cooked.
- Blend, season and serve.
You can always peel the pumpkin and add to the pan instead of roasting it, but I prefer the flavour of the roasted pumpkin, and its easier to peel after roasting.
return to news